SARC’s online leadership program; ELEVATE, is a user friendly program specifically for Boards of Directors in the non-profit sector. A modular based program that can be accessed at your convenience, ELEVATE is an excellent opportunity to supplement your knowledge of governance best practices and the various roles and responsibilities of Board Directors.
ELEVATE will help your organization maintain a standard of excellence in the non-profit sector by:
- Showing leadership related to your commitment to governance best practices and increasing organizational capability and sustainability.
- Ensuring your Board is following best practices in order to meet expectations of accountability and responsibility standards.
- Recruiting new Board Directors – individuals will be more inclined to get involved with your organization if you are able to demonstrate how they will be supported and be provided with professional development opportunities.
ELEVATE also includes a wealth of resources ranging from sample policies and templates to helpful checklists that can be customized to fit your organization’s specific needs.
ELEVATE provides information and tools in a variety of areas. The program consists of six comprehensive modules, which include:
- Understanding the Non-profit Corporation
- Key Governing Documents
- Governance Vs. Operations
- Board Models
- Effective Oversight for Operations
- Bylaws – Development and Review
- Policies – Development and Review
2. Board Roles and Responsibilities
- Board Responsibilities
- Board Role Descriptions
- Committee Roles and Responsibilities
- How to be a Productive and Responsible Board Director
3. Board's Role as Employer of the Executive Director
- Selecting and Hiring
- Orientating and Onboarding
- Performance Management
- Executive Director Compensation
- Executive Director Succession Planning
4. Legal Responsibilities
- Role of Directors
- Sources of Director's Obligations
- General Duties of Directors
- Business Judgement Rule
- Liability of Directors
5. Financial Responsibilities
- The Director's Responsibility
- Best Practices in Financial Governance
- Government Budget Cycle
- Finance Related Committees
- Financial Risks
- Financial Reporting
- Audited Financial Statements
6. Characteristics of High Performing Boards
- Clear Sense of Purpose
- Strategic Planning
- Succession Planning
- Board Development
- Conflict Resolution
- Risk Management
- Effective Board Meetings
- Board Evaluation / Self-assessment
Organizations can purchase an annual subscription, which allows you to create as many accounts (group or individual) as required by your organization.
If your organization chooses to renew the annual subscription, a 20% discount for return customers will be applied. Pricing is as follows:
- SARC Members - $699
- Other CBO's - $875 + GST
Subsequent years (20% discount):
- SARC Members - $560
- Other CBO's - $700 + GST
This means, if your organization’s Board were to consist of 10 Directors, each Director would complete ELEVATE at a cost of $69.99 in your first year.
The Executive Director's Role
The Executive Director has an important role in administering and facilitating the ELEVATE program for the Board. After you have registered for ELEVATE, please download this guide on Administering the ELEVATE Program to learn more about the process of setting up accounts, and tips on how to prepare to take the program.
To demonstrate how this interactive program works, the following video is an excerpt from the Board Roles & Responsibilities module: